06/10/2018

David Copperfield

Charles Dickens

5 Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.

46 Firmness, I may observe was the grand quality on which both  Mr and Miss Murdstone took their stand. However i might have expressed my comprehension of it at that time, if I had been called upon, I nevertheless did clearly comprehend in my own way, that it was another name for tyranny; and for a certain gloomy, arrogant, devil's humour, that was in them both.
The creed, as I should state it now, was this. Mr Murdstone was firm; nobody in his world was to be so firm at all, for everybody was to be bent to his firmness. Miss Murdstone was an exception. She might be firm, and must be; but only in bearing their firmness, and firmly believing there was no other firmness upon earth.

51  The picture always rises in my mind, of a summer evening, the boys at play in the churchyard, and I sitting on my bed, reading as if for life. Every barn in the neighborhood, every stone in the church, and every foot of the churchyard, had some association of its own in my mind, connected with these books, and stood for some locality made famous in them. I have seen Tom Pipes go climbing up the church-steeple; I have watched Strap, with the knapsack on his back, stopping to rest himself at the wicket gate; and I know that Commodore Trunnion held that Club with Mr Pickle, in the parlour of our little village alehouse.

78 I heard that one boy, who was a coal-merchant's son, came as a set-off against the coal-bill, and was called on that account 'Exchange or Barter' - a name selected from the arithmetic-book as expressing this arrangement.


Sem comentários: